TheEuropeanUnionhadapprovedanumberofgenetically modifiedcropsuntillate1998.Butgrowingpublicconcern overitssupposedenvironmentalandhealthrisksledseveral1. EUcountriestodemandamoratorium(暂时禁...The European Union had approved a number of genetically
modified crops until late 1998. But growing public concern
over its supposed environmental and health risks led several 1.
EU countries to demand a moratorium (暂时禁止) on imports
of any new GM produce. By late 1999 there were enough such
country to block any new approvals of GM produce. 2.
Last year, America filed a complaint at the WTO about the
moratorium, arguing that it was an illegal trade barrier
because there is no scientific base for it. 3.
As more studies have been completed on the effects
of GM crops, the greens’ case for them has weakened. 4.
Much evidence has emerged of health risks from eating 5.
them. And, overall, the studies have shown that the
environmental effects on modified crops are not always 6.
as serious as the greens claim. Nevertheless, environmentalists
continue to find fault of such studies and argue that 7.
they are inconclusive.
While Americans seem happy enough to consume food made
from GM crops, opinion polls continue to show that European
consumers dislike the idea. Europeans seem be taking the attitude 8.
which , since there remains the slightest possibility of adverse 9.
consequences and since it is clear how they, as consumers, benefit 10.
from GM crops, they would rather not run the risk.
3. base 改为basis;
4. for 改为 against;
5. much 改为little;
6. on 改为of;
7. of 改with;
9. which 改为that;
10. clear 改为unclear或者前面加not.
1. 本题考查了大家识别代词所指的能力，its 指代genetically modified crops(为复数), 所以应该改成their；
2. such country是指前面要求暂停进口转基因农产品的某些欧盟国家, 所以应该改成复数；
3. 此处意为： 因为没有科学根据支持暂停(进口), it 指the moratorium； base 基础, 基地, 根据地；basis (for) 基础, 基本, 根据; 科学根据只能说scientific basis, 有的同学把base 后面的for 改为 on , 应该是受到了base on 这个短语的影响；
4. the greens = the environmentalists 环保主义者。 Case 论点，论据， case for 后面的them指GM crops, case for sth. 支持某物的论点，case against sth. 反对某物的论点(削弱了)；
5. 逻辑错误，本句正常语序为Much evidence of health risks from eating them has emerged. 根据And, overall, 或后的语意，此行应该把much 改为little, 说明没有什么迹象、根据表明吃GM crops对健康有什么危险；
6. 本句的意思为：研究表明modified crops对环境造成的后果并没有环保主义者所声称的那样严重。 Environmental effects of modified crops (modified crops对环境造成的后果); 很多同学看到effects 以为后面一定跟on 就错了；
7. find fault with 批评，找茬；
8. seem to be taking固定结构，be 不能少；
9. taking the attitude that ..后为同位语从句，不能用which；
10. 注意since 前面的and 表示前后语意一致。 因为欧洲人觉得仍然存在使用GM food的不利后果，并且他们作为消费者从GM food中会如何获得好处也不清楚，所以他们不愿意冒风险。